In this day and age being able to remain in constant contact with your friends, family, and even complete strangers 24/7 seems like a great idea, right? Eh...maybe in theory, but in practice...not so much. We have cell phones, e-mail, blogs, text messaging, instant messaging, Facebook, and Myspace - why then, my friends, do we also need Twitter?
For reasons completely beyond my understanding everyone seems to be 'tweeting' these days...Personally, I don't care what everyone is doing every minute of every day... it seems to me that for only being able to post a message of 140 characters, people on this site sure do share an awful lot - Quite few even tend to seriously overshare. I dont need to know when your walking to class or are on your way to see your shrink, nor do I care to hear all the grisley details of your pending divorce, but I especially dont want to know that you just left the bathroom and/or what you did there. Gross.
I dunno. Maybe its just me that feels this way. I'm perfectly happy with updating my Facebook status whenever I feel the need to do so to keep my friends updated on my current crisis, or chatting with people I know on Aim. I dont feel the need to give the whole world the ability to subscribe to my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
you know we've come to a world where our lives are no longer private anymore. People are sharing everything about themselves al over the internet and dont care who sees. They've got to think, if you're trying to get a job and they find all the stuff you put on the internet, guess what, you're not getting that job. People have seriously got to think sometimes. I always like to say, as individuals we are usually pretty intelligent, but as a group, we are imbeciles. take it how you want to.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you about the whole Twitter thing. I do not understand why people need to share what they are doing every minute of the day. I feel that's what texting is for. If I want to know what one of my friends is doing, I will text them and ask them. The thing is no one cares what everyone else is doing in reality, but everyone seems to think that everyone cares about what they're doing. Also, people don't understand how dangerous it is. I mean not everyone who uses Twitter is a nice person. It's almost like asking someone to come and kill you by stating that you're parents are gone for the weekend and you are completely alone at home. And then of course stating the address in case anyone wants to come visit!
ReplyDeleteexactly!
ReplyDeleteI have yet to join twitter. My reasoning seems to follow exactly what you've posted here. We're starting to run out of ways to keep ourselves connected via new media. It all started with e-mails, then we moved onto blogs, facebook/myspace status and now the tweets. Technology is getting faster and our attention spans are getting shorter.
ReplyDelete